What Is Powder Horn and Why Should I Attend?
Powder Horn is a resource course designed to introduce Scouting’s adults and youth to the exciting high-adventure program possibilities for their unit. The course supports the mission of strengthening units so they can achieve the mission of the Boy Scouts of America.
The ultimate goal is for the participants to leave the Powder Horn course with a list of ideas to help their program, along with the contacts and resources needed to implement them. This will lead to a more exciting and robust program, which in turn should lead to increased membership and a higher retention rate in our units.
When you complete the course you will receive a Powder Horn device that hangs from your left pocket and a Powder Horn certificate. These items identify you as someone that has completed this advanced training. They will also serve to remind you of your ongoing commitment to service and Scouting.
What Should I Expect?
- Safe participation in fun and challenging outdoor activities
- An introduction to resources that can improve a unit’s program
- Exposure to new and exciting high-adventure activities
- Help in delivering the BSA promise at the unit level
- Promoting youths’ and adults’ creativity when delivering high-adventure programs
Who Can Attend Powder Horn?
Powder Horn is a resource course for adult leaders as well as Scouts BSA and Venturing Scouts 14 years old & up in the Boy Scouts of America.
- Be registered in the Boy Scouts of America, and active in a Cub Scout Pack, Scout BSA Troop, Venturing Crew, or in a District or Council position.
- Adults must have completed position-specific training for the position you currently hold. Yout must have completed the unit’s version of leadership training (Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops, Ship, or Crews).
- Be capable of functioning safely in an outdoor environment and have a BSA Medical Form valid through the end of the course.
- All participants must complete Youth Protection Training and Hazardous Weather training online through my.scouting.org.
Bring your Scouting spirit and a desire to learn and grow in your knowledge of Scouting and yourself. It will be a great experience!
The Powder Horn course is a uniformed activity. The uniform you wear will be the official Field Uniform (“Class A”) for your registered position in Scouting. The Field Uniform includes a Scout shirt, Scout pants or shorts, Scout socks and a Scout belt. An activity shirt will be provided as part of your course fee.
There will be long, action-packed days and nights. All participants must provide a current BSA Annual Health and Medical Record with Parts A, B, and C (Annual Physical) completed.
Every Powder Horn course is different, with different themes, staff, consultants, and oftentimes different activities at various locations. Attendance at multiple Powder Horn courses is welcomed and encouraged.